One of my favorite things to do in the fall is to go to an apple orchard and pick apples. To be honest, I enjoy it more than going to a pumpkin patch. We were at County Line three years ago for our family’s first ever apple picking outing and I absolutely loved it. I’ve wanted to go back ever since.
A few weeks ago, we headed out to County Line Orchard in Hobart, Indiana for our annual apple picking excursion. This was actually the twins’ first time apple picking with us. Actually, our first time apple picking as a family of five! And well, the twins didn’t actually pick apples….
We picked (pun intended – LOL) an unseasonably hot day to go apple picking and it seemed pretty early in the season but we had a free weekend so why not? The Fuji apples were not available for us so pick. My favorite apple, by the way! Also my mom still doesn’t understand why we pay to pick our own apples. But I tell her it’s a fun family thing to do. Hopefully we’ll take her one of these days. I’m sure it will change her mind.
We thought it was a fun idea to put the twins in a Radio Flyer all terrain wagon and pull them around the orchard. We bout the wagon Facebook Marketplace for a steal, by the way. It was cute for pictures but the twins didn’t stay still. So we put them on the ground with a picnic blanket. Turns out they like the Once Upon A Farm applesauce more than actual apples. Who knew?
Afterwards we went back to the barn for some frozen apple cider and apple cider donuts and then paid for the apples we picked. Then we ate lunch and listened to live music
Overall, it was a fun day out for us and lots of memories were made. We are very lucky to have some great apple orchards in the Midwest. I hope we can do this every year because I just love seeing Luke find and pick apples and I hope to see Cruz and Levi doing the same for many years to come. I may just post about our apple picking adventures every year because I love it so much!
Things to know about County Line Orchard
- County Line Orchard is in Hobart, Indiana about an hour drive from Chicago.
- Admission to County Line Orchard is $1 per person (kids 2 and under are free). The price includes a tractor ride.
- You pay for what you pick based on a dollar value per pound.
- Check the orchard’s website for the apples that are ripe during the week you plan to attend.
- You can take a tractor ride, which takes you further parts of the orchard, if open. But if you want to use your wagon or stroller, I highly suggest you don’t. You’ll just have to do some walking.
- County Line Orchard has more than just apples, there’s also a pumpkin patch and a sunflower field.
- Fun things for kids include a train ride (moo-choo train, kids farm, and corn maze). You will need to pay additional for these activities.
- There are food vendors and and place to eat and listen to live music if you want rest before going home.
- Parking is FREE!